Summer is hands down one of everyone’s favorite seasons. Warmer temperatures, beautiful weather, vacations and fun activities fill our summers and our fond memories of summer from our childhood. The culmination of summer and one of it’s greatest highlights is always celebrating the 4th of July here in the great United States of America. Whether you go on vacation over the holiday, host a barbecue, gather with family and friends or sleep in until it’s time to see fireworks, the July 4th holiday is a nationwide celebration that reaches each and every person in one way or another. So, how can you make this year’s celebration one to remember? We’ve gathered some great ideas and ways that you can celebrate the 4th this year with fun, meaning, good food and reflection as we reunite as family, friends, and fellow Americans.
Part of summer fun is time outdoors with family and friends celebrating the 4th of July! Looking for some great ideas of fun things to do outdoors this year? We’ve got some good ones!!
- Fire up your grill and host family and friends for an all American barbecue
- Picnic in the park! Take your favorite holiday eats on the go to your favorite park, to watch a parade, or picnic right outside in your own backyard
- Use your best technical skills (or your favorite internet search engine) and rig up your backyard to show a movie
- Have a good old fashioned family camp out in the backyard, complete with tent, campfire and all the trimmings
- Whether you strum your own guitar, play keyboard, or make your own playlist, have a good old fashioned sing-a-long with patriotic songs included
- Find the closest nearby pool, lake, ocean, or put up your own plastic pool and enjoy a swim during your 4th celebration
- Gather the family or friends together and get some fresh air and exercise outdoors. Bike rides, hikes, jog or walks with your special people are the best way to kick off your holiday
- Find the closest fireworks display near you and end your holiday with a bang! If you don’t have fireworks nearby, buy your own sparklers or fireworks and have your own celebration in your own backyard
- Crank up some patriotic music, dress the kids in red, white and blue, give them some instruments and have your own 4th of July parade right in your own backyard
- A long sheet of plastic, a water hose (and possibly add some dish soap) will create your very own backyard waterslide, fun for kids and adults alike
- Yard games like cornhole, badminton, softball, touch football, croquet, and ping pong, to name a few, can bring some fun and competition to your outdoor celebration
Is it too hot or rainy for you to be outdoors all day this year on July 4th? Do not worry, there are plenty of fun things you can do to celebrate indoors as well!
- Brush up on the history of our independence and have some “fun facts” ready for your kids and guests at your 4th of July celebration. Take it to the next level and play American History trivia with your family/guests
- Have someone read the Declaration of Independence (or find a dramatic reading online). Our founding fathers worked tirelessly to form this nation and many men and women gave their lives for our freedom. Set aside time in your festivities to honor them
- Raise the American flag at your gathering, say the pledge of allegiance and sing our national anthem. Remind the next generation of what our flag stands for
- Baked some patriotic themed desserts with plenty of red, white and blue ingredients
- Host a game night (pre and post fireworks)
- Make a trip to the craft store (or online order) and have some fun patriotic crafts on hand for your family and guests to make during your celebration
- Make your own patriotic t shirts (or purchase some if you aren’t into crafting) and wear them during your celebration
- Decorate your home/table/outdoor space with red, white and blue
- Take your fresh strawberries and blueberries and make some healthy homemade popsicles to take outside when you need cooling off
Food To Celebrate
What’s a great celebration without FOOD? Our Independence Day holiday has always been a time to come together, bring all kinds of amazing food and different dishes and share a meal together as we celebrate our great nation. What are you cooking up for the 4th this year?
- You can’t get more “American” than grilling out hot dogs and hamburgers on the 4th of July with apple pie for dessert!! Barbecue ribs, pork, chicken and sausages come in a close second, with potato salad, baked beans and coleslaw for the win
- With more people trying to follow a healthy diet, there are plenty of good fresh salad, vegetable and fruit dishes to make this holiday season. And don’t forget the watermelon
- Homemade ice cream is another fun summer tradition that will brings cool smiles and happiness to your guests this 4th of July
- Fresh squeezed lemonade and fruit infused water will bring healthy refreshment to your backyard barbecue
No matter how or where you celebrate the birthday of our nation, be sure to find a moment of gratitude for the freedoms we have, freedoms bought and paid for by the lives of men and women who gave everything for those freedoms. Enjoy having people around you this year, be grateful for life and the ability to celebrate all that it has to offer. Have fun and make this 4th of July one that you will never forget!
© 2021 Compac Industries. All rights reserved.
This article is intended to provide an understanding of and knowledge about “health topics” as expressed through the perspective and research of the author. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice or counsel, including the diagnosis or treatment of any condition. Always seek the advice of your qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition, illness or treatment of any listed or non listed situation above. By using this site, you signify your assent to our Terms and Conditions.